Monday, July 26, 2010

The Coziness of a Quilt!

I love quilts!

I think they are beautiful. And comfortable. And cozy. And can be sentimental.

I wish I knew how to quilt. I wish I had someone who could teach me how to quilt. But then I would need someone who could add more hours to the day so I would have time to quilt. But, alas, I wish I could quilt.

I am fortunate enough to have a good friend, Maren, whose aunt Karen quilts. And quilts beautifully! And quilts willingly. And quilts with love.

About 10 years ago (yep, a decade ago) Karen quilted me this blanket with 24 t-shirts that I had collected throughout the years. 24 of them are sports, and the 25th is from a family reunion. There are softball shirts, volleyball shirts, and swimming shirts.

It is THE most comfortable blanket I own and I cherish it. For the past 10 years I have used it and used it and used it. I have also washed it a lot. It is made of t-shirts (and memories) so it washes beautifully. It is one of the most cherished possessions I own.

Ta-Dah....
Aunt Karen graciously agreed to quilt Shyla a blanket of her own! I picked out 60 of my favorite onesies from her first year of life and handed them over to Karen. The picture above is the masterpiece! It is better than I ever could have expected! It is fun for me to remember who gave Shyla these different outfits and to which occasions she wore them.

I will treasure this blanket as I know Shyla will as well someday.

So, thank you Karen for your beautiful work (again) and for giving me a way to hold onto Shyla's first year!

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I LOVE it! I want to do the exact same thing some day. Actually I want to do 2 blankets- 1 with Spencer's clothes and 1 with his baby blankets. Would Karen mind if you shared her contact info so she could get some more business?

Eileen Short said...

What a wonderful idea - a quilt of onesies!!!!
Maybe we should take a quilting class over the summer...

Jess said...

I saved Cain's clothes to do the same thing!! I want to learn to do it myself though, I think it would be fun!

Your Mom said...

What a beautiful blanket of memories! You forgot to mention how you teared up when you saw it!

Show Me Mama said...

Beautiful quilt. I am your new follower. you can visit me at http://showmemama.blogspot.com

Suzanne said...

It is beautiful and such a great idea! I have a quilt of fabric pieces that were used in clothing that my mom or I made (I was a BIG seamstress way back when) that I cherish too!

chelsea said...

Gorgeous!
I'm kinda bummed that I'm seeing a pic instead of the real thing, but I will definitely see it soon. It is beautiful!