Saturday, October 3, 2009

Mr. Good-Intentions Strikes Again!


Let me begin this post by saying that I love my dad! My sister and I were blessed with the best dad in the world! We are so lucky!


My dad has the very best of intentions.



That being said, it's important to point out that he does numerous thoughtful things for us and other people routinely; the majority of which go unnoticed. Not unappreciated, but sometimes unnoticed.



This post is NOT about those things.



This post is about two thoughtful things my dad has done for me, the most recent being this week, that have backfired.



In chronological order:



Backfire #1:

My dad knows that I like soda. He, being the thoughtful person that he is, decided that I needed a 24-can case of soda. Not normal soda, albeit, but grape soda. So, my dad loaded said 24-can case of grape soda into the back on my car. There it sat.



Did I mention that this was last April? Why is the date important, you might ask? Well it's important to note that since Shyla hadn't been born yet I was very rarely opening the back of the car. It is also important to point out that temperatures inside of cars in April in Tucson are HOT to put it mildly.



So, to make a long story short, the cans of grape soda got hot, too hot, and exploded in the back of my car. Thus sending grape soda soaking through the back mat. Thus sending me into a fit.



See, he has the best of intentions.



Backfire #2:

Last Monday I had a dentist appointment. Stevie had one right before me but had to go to jury duty instead (that boy will do anything to get out of the dentist). I knew Shyla was starting to get sick and I was afraid that I would be in the dentist chair and she would go nuts and need to be held and it would be a loud, awkward cleaning. So my dad offered to meet me at the dentist to take care of Shyla while I had my appointment (Thanks again Dad!).



My appointment lasted a lot longer than I had anticipated (about an hour and a half) and Shyla slept the whole time (who knew?). But my dear ol' dad kept her company by driving the car around the parking lot and then parking and sitting next to her while she slept. When I finally got out he was chilaxing with her in the shade of a store with the windows rolled down. What a guy!



Now allow me to tell you about my Friday: I woke up at 1:30 AM to a screaming baby (turns out she had an ear infection but we didn't know it at the time). I never went back to bed. I was tired. I tried to upload some pictures for a new blog post and, in my haste, used my she-man strength to force the Kodak USB cord into our Nikon Camera. It did not fit but I forced it. I ruined the USB port of the camera and was a little upset. 8:30, baby still screaming. I still hadn't slept and I was more tired than before. Stevie was golfing. I was upset.



I quickly put Shyla in her car seat and loaded her into the car knowing that the movement of the car sometimes calms her down. Thankfully it did. We stopped for gas because I did not want to be sitting on the side of the road with a crying baby. I decided that since she was so happy in the car that I would prolong the outing so I bought a $4 car-wash along with the gas.



Into the car-wash we went. After a few minutes I heard dripping. I noticed that the car was leaking where the driver's left leg and the passenger's right leg would be. "Cool" I think to myself and I text Stevie (even though he's on the golf course...okay, especially since he's on the golf course). No sooner did I send the text then a gush of water shoots down from the middle of the car, you know from where some cars have a sunglass holder or a garage door opener holder. "Sweet" I think to myself and I text Stevie again.



And then I laughed.



It wasn't a laugh-out-loud-until-you-cry-laugh.



It was a I-must-laugh-otherwise-I-will-cry-laugh.



And I laughed and laughed and laughed until the car wash finished, I pulled foward, and I closed the sunroof that my dad had opened during his date with Shyla.



See, he has the best of intentions.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hysterical...I'm so sorry, I know it is not, but I can see your smile as you type it. You poor girl! I sure hope you are feeling better and so is Shyla! I think your dad needs to be banned from your car, don't you think? :)

Your Mom said...

I really love that man!!! We are so lucky to have him and those are the things that make us notice how much he does for us...way to go GP!!

The Yager Family said...

Ahhhh dad! You hit the nail on the head there sister - best of intentions and so many perfect good samaritan acts... then there are also the fun ones!
:)
Love you sister, and love you daddy!