Friday, August 6, 2010

Shyla in 11 years...




It is hard to believe, but one day this cutie-pie that is the reason for my heart beating, will be 11 years old and in middle school.

For those of you who don't know, I teach 6th grade.

Today, looking around at my sixth graders I had to wonder...what will Shyla be like when she is eleven years old?

  • Will she be the girl who has to have everything exactly right, and neat, and perfect?
  • Will she be the girl who sits silently in her chair and is too shy to share answers or ideas with the class?
  • Will she be the girl who jumps out of her seat with her hand in the air because she knows the answer?
  • Will she be the girl who struggles academically but tries?
  • Will she not try?
  • Will she be a good friend?
  • Will her teachers be able to count on her to help other out?
  • Or will she be the one who needs help?
  • Will she have lots of friends on the playground?
  • Or will she be the one wandering alone?
  • Will she say "please" and "thank you" and "hello" and "good bye?"
It reminds me of an episode of Friends as Ross and Rachel and talking about their unborn daughter who they hope will be cute, and smart, and pretty, and popular, with an aptitude for science (to which another friend wonders if they are talking about the same kid).

We can't plan how she's going to be but I pray that she will be comfortable in her own skin, will always want to talk to me about anything, and who will make all other people feel loved and welcomed.

Oh, and I hope that at parent-teacher conferences we aren't told that she "is very energetic" because we all know what that means....

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Ahhh. What a sweet and touching sentiment. I wonder all the same things about Spencer. :)

Your Mom said...

Oh this post brings tears to my eyes because I remember wondering the very same things about you and CP and that seemed like just yesterday. Good news tho...she will be better than you ever prayed or dreamed she would be!

chelsea said...

So sweet. We all wonder all of those things, and more. It is so exciting and wonderful and so scary at the same time.
And, I know that that "energy" comment was aimed at Zac. Yep, we know what that means. Sigh.

Suzanne said...

Isn't that the truth? You've gotta wonder what they are going to be like, and what thoughts those teachers are going to have about our kids...will they be the ones teachers whisper about in the corner, plan reteach for, say, "If only he could be absent every day from my class...", or "I LOVE having that kid in my class!"