Sunday, October 28, 2012

Birthday Week 2012

Birthday week is from October 19 through October 23.  Beth turned 29 on the 19th, I turned 30 on the 23rd and Stevie turned 30 on the 26th.

We are yet to see Beth but Stevie and I celebrated with our families last Sunday.  It was a lot of fun and we had (my favorite) fruit pizza and (his almost-favorite) cookie dough ice-cream cake.

Then Tuesday, the 23rd rolled around.  My 30th birthday.  It was a doosie.

It started out with a lovely gift from Stevie and the girls.  But with this on the envelope:
 Those of you who know me, know that I was not upset by what it says, but I was pissed about how it said it!  My husband is a well-educated man and this was completely unacceptable - especially with a wife like me!

Oh well.  Onto the rest of my day.  I purposefully hadn't told any of my co-workers or students about my birthday because I don't like to make a big deal.  Immediately after school I went for my run around the school.  I've been doing this a couple times a week - I get 2.4 miles in before picking up Shyla.  I was enjoying my run, and was at about 2.3 miles when this happened:

In case you can't tell, I was bitten by a dog!  On my birthday!  By the way, that's my hip - not my butt (I just realized it kind of looks like that in the picture!)  I was just running along, not especially fast,  on the correct side of the street, in a nice neighborhood, when a large boxer-ish (I think) dog starting barking at my uncontrollably and broker free from its' owner (a child).  It crossed the street to come at me from about 15 yards away.  I froze and turned my back, that's when it jumped up and bit me.

To make a long story short, here's the rest of the story:  I cried, talked to the owner (whose child was in 1 of my classes last year), walked the 0.1 remaining, got Shyla and went home.  My parents came over with Eegees and informed me I was required to report the bite to animal control.  So, as if I had nothing better to do, on Wednesday I went to Urgent Care to get a tetnus shot and make the report.  Thursday animal control came by my house to take pictures of the bite and talk about the possibility to filing citations (I declined).  The dog will be quarantined for 10 days and then it should all be over.

And here's what it looked like on day 5:


So, yes, that was my birthday.  Welcome to 30!

3 comments:

J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeannette said...

I think you are (or as Stevie would say - "your" ;) ) definitely owed a birthday re-do... or at least another fruit pizza!

(Sorry, I had to delete my first comment.. I accidentally auto-filled the wrong name in)

Erin =) said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! That is so awful, Kendra! What was that dog thinking, biting a birthday girl who happens to also love dogs, it just doesn't seem right on any account. I hope the 2nd week into your 30s is much, much better =)