Sunday, March 21, 2010

Shyla's 1st Baseball Game!

Shyla was born into a very big baseball family. Well, half of a very big baseball family. When Stevie played tee-ball he had a turquoise glove and that was the end of his baseball career.

My side of the family, though, loves baseball.

Great-grandpa Palmer (Pop) loves baseball and softball; he and my grandma were huge supporters of my softball teams. They came out to support us whenever they could whether it was high school or club ball or Pima and they even traveled to Nationals just about every summer.

My dad, Shyla's Grandpa Palmer, GGP played baseball through college and is a fan of the mechanics. Even though softball was a foundation for me, I refused to play unless he was my coach. He agreed and we were called The Golden Girls!

Even Chelsea played softball.

And those of you who know me, know my softball history so I don't need to bore you with it here. But if you are ever interested I will show you the first diamond ring I was ever given:)

Suffice it to say, we love baseball and softball. Love the sound of the ball off the bat, love the look of grass-stains on white pants, love the fact that the game is slow enough (notice I didn't say too slow) to carry on a conversation with friends (or "pass the cup" for the next round of "pass the cup").

Shyla attended her first baseball game yesterday: a spring training game between the Colorado Rockies and the Los Angeles Angels at Hi-Corbett Field.

But first, a look into Shyla's life if she joins a gang; a pink gang.

Shyla enjoyed the game a lot. It was a perfect day! The sun was shining, the grass was green and the hot-dogs were a foot long.
We made sure to lather her up with sunscreen and a bucket-hat that matched Grandpa's. They both looked dashing.
It's not a baseball game without a cold beer, right? When Grandpa thought she was getting warm, he poured some of his beer into his hand (which is hard to believe that he didn't mind not drinking it) and wiped it on her cheeks.
And I will never pass up an opportunity for snuggles. Even if we are at a warm baseball game.

A big THANK YOU to Uncle Pete for coordinating the important outing. We had a blast!

3 comments:

The Yager Family said...

So many great pictures, but that last one is my favorite! When can we schedule a time for me to go too?
Oh, and thanks for the "EVEN chelsea played softball and she is horrible at everything athletic" comment. At least that's what I read.

Eileen Short said...

Awesome! :)

Tess said...

Hahahahahaha - so I think it is safe to say we differ on the opinion of baseball =)

I promise not to let your 'short comings' influence Ayden and Shyla's future!! i could just eat her up!! And personally my fav pic was the first one...haha...pink gang!!!