Saturday, December 31, 2011

The End of 2011

As 2011 comes to a close, and before we welcome 2012, I thought I would take a moment to remember and reflect upon the year.


On the first day of 2011 we lost Grandma Forgacs after her battle with cervical cancer. Shyla was just a year and a half, I’m not sure that she remembers her but she recognizes and can identify her in pictures.


Three months later, on March 25th, Kirsten and Jim welcomed their twin girls: Sophia Rose and Simone Patricia. We didn’t get to meet them until the end of May, but have seen them a few times since and hope that all the cousins get to know each other well and grow up together.


After suffering with a gall stone that I thought was labor and gestational diabetes (with subsequent finger pricks and insulin shots), Stevie, Shyla and I welcomed Harper Ann on July 15th. Our family went from three to four seemlessly and we all fell instantly in love with our beautiful, happy, easy-going little girl. There is nothing better than watching Shyla and Harper play together and nothing better than hearing them laugh together.


One month later, in mid-August, I was granted a leave of absence from work which extended my leave an extra 12 weeks. I became a domestic goddess and I loved every minute. I wish I didn’t have to work at all, but I also feel very fortunate to have gotten the extra time.


We took a few road trips as a family-of-four. In September we went to Pinetop to visit with Grandma Barbara and Grandpa Pop on their way back from Michigan. November found us in Coronado for family time and a half-marathon and then we hit Vegas in December for a night-time half!


Although I am quite certain I will be awake at midnight tonight as the ball drops, I can also say with 100% certainty that I will not be partying and if I am kissing anybody it will be Harper. But here’s to 2012! I’m sure it will be a fantastic one!

1 comment:

Your Mom said...

Good Bye 2011...to all the sorrow and pain, to all the happiness and the overwhelming joy. 2011 was another square in the quilt of our lives and lays the foundation for 2012!