Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lenten Season. For these six weeks, Catholics are supposed to abstain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday and each Friday. It is also customary to "go without" something that you are used to. One reason why we do this is to make us feel closer to the poor and impoverished. It is supposed to be a challenge, thus excluding alcohol and/or tobacco from my choices of things to give up.

It is also customary to get ashes, in the shape of a cross, on your forehead today. This is a sign that you are repenting for your sins and heading into the Lenten Season with a clean slate.

Although we are members of Saints Peter and Paul (mostly because we want Shyla to go to school there, but also because we like it) Shyla and I went to St. Rita today, because it's very close, to receive our ashes.

She was quite the hit! Everyone smiled from ear-to-ear to see such a devout Catholic!

You might be wondering what Shyla has to repent for?

Well, nothing really.

Are you wondering what she is going to abstain from during these next 6 weeks?

She wouldn't tell me...but I hope it's waking up during the night. Now that I think about it, perhaps that's what she is repenting for too?

(Isn't she an angel? It doesn't seem possible but I think I fall more in love with her each day.)

Ahhhhh, yes. And here we find my vice. My addiction. My habit. My fixation. My Diet Coke.

It's going to be a long 6 weeks (and I don't cheat on Sundays) and I might be a bit cranky at times, but I am making it public at this moment. My Lenten journey will not include any soda, including my precious Diet Coke, and I, too, think I should abstain from waking up in the middle of the night.

4 comments:

Eileen Short said...

I think Lent is a such a wonderful season. I've been practicing for a couple years now even though I'm not Catholic. All Christians used to celebrate it before there was a group of Protestants that believed that the Romans created all of the Christian holidays, including Christmas. This thinking was later discovered to be incorrect...I know some Protestant denominations to observe Lent, but why not all?
I can identify with you...I'm giving up soda & fast food...so sleepy today (and caffeine withdrawl headache)...oy!
I'd love to hear more about Lent from you...just starting to scratch the surface. :)
Great post.

The Yager Family said...

NOOOOO!!!!! Shoot sister, I really liked hanging with you, but not sure I can do it if you're on the "coke free" wagon.

Seriously, though, good for you. Rock on! And send the diet coke my way... you know, so there is no temptation on your part :)

Your Mom said...

What a wonderful post!..and inspires me too (as usual I try to give up snacking at work which is incredibly hard). Shyla is also an inspiration (sure hope she does give up night snacking as her lenten penance!)...she is such a blessing!

Erin :) said...

Oh that Shyla, makes her godmother proud! Dan and I got our ashes yesterday, too. It's one of my favorite times of year because in a way, it reminds me of the phoenix and how out of ashes, a new wonderful thing can come. I am right there with you, Kendra...I am not touching Diet Pepsi! So far, it's day 3 for me (I started early,what was I thinking?!) and I'm still standing, so I have hope for us yet! I, too, hope Shyla gives up waking up during the night, that is too funny = )