Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Teacher Blog Challenge - Day 1

My friend Julie has started this blogging challenge and I am going to join (copy-cat) her! She got it from another Julie.

So here it goes:

Day 1 - How did you decide to become a teacher?

I honestly still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Perhaps I will stay a teacher for the rest of my life, perhaps I will choose to try something totally different.

When I was little, I would always play school with my friends and/or stuffed animals. I loved being in charge and teaching them everything I knew or was learning.

Plus, it was within my comfort zone, school was my occupation so it was what I knew. It was just about the only thing I knew.

When I started at the U of A, I was Pre-Ed. I thought I wanted to teach the little kids. I taught religious education at my parish: kindergarten one night per week was enough to tell me that was not my calling. Then I changed to 5th grade one night a week and was much more sane.

But I was not entirely convinced so I changed my major to Nutritional Studies.

Later I changed to Creative Writing and ended up with a degree in that, an emphasis on creative non-fiction, and a minor in religious studies.

So, where exactly does a BA in Creative Writing/Religious Studies lead? Well, a desk job in the real estate business of course!

After a few years of that, I realized that I wanted some sort of career and that was going no where quickly, so I went back to school for my master's in elementary education. Finished it and got my current job teaching 6th grade math and science.

Am I happy doing what I am doing? Yes.
Do I plan to do it for years to come? Yes.
Will I do it forever? Not sure.
What would I like to do instead? Hummm......domestic engineer, speech-language pathology, Starbucks barista, the possibilities are endless!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Hey! I didn't know you were interested in being an SLP! If you ever want to chat- give me a call. I love my job!