Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Playing in the Backyard

As many of you know, we are hardscaping our backyard.

And, as I'm sure you have guessed, when I say "we," I really mean, "Stevie."

He is driving me nuts because he refuses to pay someone to do the work. In reality though, that's what I love him for. The reason he's being so bone-headed about it is simply because he wants to save his family money. Knowing that I am only working part-time next year, we are watching every penny.

What this means is that he is working at his normal full-time job and then he's coming home to work for hours in the backyard. Oh, and the weekends are spent in the backyard (I'd like to give a shout-out here to our friend Rob who has been over A LOT to help...and we hope you enjoy the special treat Shyla got for you at the mall today).

I will be most glad to have this project done because I will have my husband back.

Oh, and did I mention that he's an engineer? This simple fact means that he is a total perfectionist. I have literally watched, in horror, as he has removed blocks that he put into cement because "they were off by an inch." Yep, that's a direct quote!

To paraphrase my friend Jeannette who is also married to an engineer, "it takes a very special woman to put up with their (you know)." Okay, she actually said it much more eloquently, but you get the idea.

Oh, and did I mention that he is laying block over approximately 800 square feet? Yep, that means he is hardscaping an area of land that is bigger than our first house!

Anyway, it is going to be beautiful when it is done. B-E-A-Utiful.

But for now........it is a sand trap surrounded by 8 pallets of block.

********************

Most of you also know that Shyla loves to play outside; loves it! So, despite the sand and blocks we played outside for a few minutes this evening.

Did I mention there is a lot of sand?

She is not one to worry about getting dirty. She was enjoying picking up the sand clumps and watching them break apart in her hands.

Showing off what she found.

And then she climbed up the mound of sand. And then she fell down the other end. Laughing.

And then she distracted Daddy from his work and got him to run around with her for a few minutes.

And then she face-planted. And ate it. And seemed to like it.

Yep! That's my girl!

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

That's our girl!

J said...

I absolutely LOVE the picture of Shyla and Stevie. You can practically hear the giggling.
Um, I also prefer your paraphrase to my original quote.. well, actually Aaron's quote (MY version sounds an awful lot like yours ;o)).

Erin = ) said...

Shyla the Sand Queen! Only she can make a sand mustache look cute ; )

Kirsten said...

Jim agrees with Stevie Joe that an inch is a lot! Jim would have fixed it too! I am also married to a perfectionist but it's a wonderful thing to know you are saving your hard earned money! Just be patient, and it will be beautiful!

Alexia said...

I just LOVE little miss independent, curious and loving Shyla May! I love your blog and LOVE that you update it each day now...I hope you continue after the challenge!